Fire doors must be closed in the event of a fire; however, there are many reasons why hotels need fire doors in an open position. Propping a fire door open is illegal as in the event of a fire could lead to irretrievable damage to the hotel and its reputation. If the unthinkable does happen, it’s vital to ensure the fire is contained so that a safe evacuation is possible. Fire safety can be achieved in this situation with a fire door holding device, whether it’s hard wired into the fire panel or wire-free.
Why hold fire doors open in hotels?
- Accessibility is essential to ensure your hotel is inclusive to all and to conform to the Equality Act 2010
- Allow guests and staff to carry luggage through corridors without obstruction
- Allow ventilation on hot and humid days
- Reduce noise at night from doors slamming
Benefits of installing wire-free fire safety systems?
- Stop fire doors being wedged open
- Comply with fire regulations
- No hard wiring into walls causing damage and hidden costs (more cost effective when retrofitting)
- Fire door closers can make heavy fire doors easier to use for older, younger and less-able guests
- Wire-free devices can offer the highest level of fire door security (Salamander radio controlled system)
- No specialist training required for installation (Agrippa only)
- Works with a standard or voice fire alarm depending on system (Salamander only)
Compare the features of our wire-free options here > Wire free door holder comparison